Lighthouse Luminaries

For centuries the lighthouse has been beacon of safety to mariners. It seemed only fitting to incorporate these wonderful structures into our candle line.

Size: approx. 5" x 5" x 4.5"
Comes with votive & holder
Reusable by placing votives inside.

Louisbourg Louisbourg - Nova Scotia

The French considered Louisbourg an important part of their colonization plan. To that end a light was planned to assist French shipping needs. When completed it was North America's second lighthouse. A distinction that was short lived when the British destroyed it in 1758. The light was not replaced until 1842.

Sambro - Nova Scotia Sambro - Nova Scotia

Built in 1758 the Sambro Island Lighthouse was predated by the Boston light ( 1716 ) and Louisbourg ( 1734 ). Both of those lights were damaged or destroyed in subsequent years leaving the Sambro Island light as the oldest continually operating light in North America. The tower was originally 60 feet tall and was put into service in 1760. As was common at the time a tax was placed on shipping and liquor to raise money for the construction and upkeep of the light. Although the light warns of dangerous shoals in the area complaints about inefficiencies in its operation arose within a few years. It was reported that ships had to fire at the lighthouse in order to get the keeper to show a light. An investigation revealed that the keeper misappropriated funds and would leave the light out if no ships were approaching. These problems were not corrected until 1774. In 1906 the tower was raised to 74 feet. Originally white, the red bands were added after the tower was heightened. The first-order Fresnel lens from 1906 is on display at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax.

Peggy's Cove Peggy's Cove - Nova Scotia

Perhaps Canada's most photographed lighthouse. It is the only North American lighthouse that doubles as a post office in the summer. The cancellation stamp even has a lighthouse on it.

Cape Forshu (1839) Cape Forshu and Keepers House - Nova Scotia

Many residents of Yarmouth were not impressed with the Canadian Coast Guardís design when the new light went into service in 1962. The uniqueness of the tower gave rise to the nickname "the apple core" and it has grown to become an important symbol for the area. The first lighthouse went into operation here in 1839. It employed one of the first Fresnel lenses in North America. That lens is now on display at the Yarmouth County Museum. From 1980 - 1993 Cape Forchu was the monitoring station for automated lighthouses along the south shore of Nova Scotia. In 1993 it was automated. The site is now administered by the Friends of the Yarmouth Light Society.

Cape Forshu (1839) Cape Forshu (1839) - Nova Scotia

Meaning "Forked Cape", the rocky headland of Cape Forchu, is surrounded by three bodies of water. The Gulf of Maine, the Bay of Fundy and Yarmouth harbour. Since first lit in 1839 the light has been guiding ships safely into the harbour. One of the first lights in North America to have a Fresnel lens with eight sides. The clockwork mechanism which turned the lens had to be rewound every three hours. The lens was removed when the new tower was built in 1962 and is now at the Yarmouth County Museum.

Cape Forshu (1839) Port Bickerton - Nova Scotia

Settled in 1840 the first lighthouse at Port Bickerton was erected in 1901 on the western side of Barachois Head and was visible for 7 miles. Poorly constructed the lighthouse was replaced by a temporary light in 1924. In 1930 a combined tower and keepers residence was constructed and the second lighthouse put into service. In 1947 the light was threatened by a fire in the area. While there was some damage to the roof the light remained untouched. The fog alarm building was not so lucky in 1962 when it was destroyed by a fire caused during matinance to the building. As a result of the subsequent investigation a concrete tower and fog alarm building was built. This became the third light at Port Bickerton and is still in operation today. The second building has been restored and is now home to the Nova Scotia Lighthouse Interpretive Centre.

Execution Rocks Henry Island - Nova Scotia

The present Henry Island lighthouse was placed into operation in December 1902. There are records indicating that a lighthouse was built on the island in 1854 but information about itís fate have not been. It is assumed that the current lighthouse occupies the same site as the first lighthouse. The original square lighthouse was important to the area as the large protected harbour was a haven for the large number of fishing and merchant vessels during the mid to late 1800ís. Located on the islandís highest point the original light could be seen for 22 miles. Automated in 1962 the current light has a range of 6 miles. Still an important navigational beacon it is unlikely that the light will be decommissioned, however the local preservation society has been formed to prevent this lighthouse from falling into decay.

Machias - Seal Island New Brunswick Cape Jourimain - New Brunswick

Built in 1870 the Cape Jourimain lighthouse was a valuable navigational aid to the "ice boats" the used to ferry passengers between Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick. Originally installed with a fixed white light visible for 16 miles it was decided in 1879 to change the light to a flashing white light which was visible for 14 miles. The kerosene vapour lamp was changed to electric in 1969. At this time the light was also automated. The light was de-commissioned between 1995 and 1997. Coastal erosion has plagued the lighthouse through the years forcing it to be moved twice so far. The last time being in 1955 when the light was moved back 115 feet from the shore. In 1991 the Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office recognized the lighthouse as a Federal Heritage Structure because of the tower's unique embellishments around the top cornice.

Machias - Seal Island New Brunswick Machias - Seal Island - New Brunswick

While there is nothing unique about the lighthouse on Machias Seal Island the ownership of the island is under dispute. Canada and the United States each claim the island as their own. For this reason the Machias Seal Island lighthouse is the only Atlantic Canadian light that is manned outside of Newfoundland and Labrador. There is also a U.S. Coast Guard station on the island. The first light on the island went into operation in 1832. Originally a twin tower light station, the old unused tower has been dismantled. The current tower was built in 1915. Large colonies of puffins and other sea birds call the island home. Charters to the island from Grand Manan, Jonesport and Cutler, Maine are available for lighthouse and bird watching.

Cape Enrage Cape Enrage - New Brunswick

The oldest lighthouse on the New Brunswick mainland the Cape Enrage lighthouse has been operation since 1848. Recent research has indicated that a beacon may have existed since the mid 1700's. An important light during the shipbuilding boom along Chignecto Bay the latter half of the 20th century saw the lighthouse and keepers residence fall into disrepair. In 1992 the light was slated for de-commissioning and demolition. In 1993 Dennison Tate, a teacher in Moncton, and a group of students began to repair the light and keepers residence. In 1995 the ownership of the light was transferred to the province who then allowed the group to run day adventures from the site.

Gannet Rock Gannet Rock

Occupying a mere stone islet, 9 miles south of Grand Manan Island, Gannet Rock is probably Canada's most exposed light. Built in 1831 the 91 foot wooden tower is the second oldest operational lighthouse in Canada. W. B. McLaughlin, a worker who helped build the light, was also its keeper for 35 yrs. Sadly the birds that nested there and gave the island its name left once the light was built.

East Quoddy East Quoddy

Located on Campobello Island the East Quoddy ( Head Harbour ) Lighthouse is Canada's oldest wooden operating lighthouse. It was built in 1829-30 and lit in 1831 in response to complaints for sea-faring traders. The distinctive cross of St. George, used since Confederation at least, is an excellent example of how a lighthouse can also serve as a daymark as well.

Partridge Island - New Brunswick Partridge Island - New Brunswick

The Partridge Island Lighthouse at the entrance to St. John Harbour, was the first on record to shine a light on the Bay of Fundy. First lit in 1791 the light fell into disuse and was destroyed by fire in 1832. North America's first steam-powered fog whistle was installed in 1859 during the life of the second tower. A third tower stood on the island between 1880 and 1959 when it was replaced with the current tower. In 1784 Canada's first immigration station was established on the island. The Canadian equivalent to Ellis Island in New York, Partridge Island became a quarantine station to 3 million immigrants between 1785 and 1947.

West Point West Point - Prince Edward Island

The West Point lighthouse was the first light built by the new provincial government on P.E.I.. Construction began in 1875 and was completed a year later. Responsibility for the light came under the new federal Department of Marine. At the same time lighthouse design was changed from octagonal to square towers. At 68 feet it is one of the tallest on the island. Only 2 keepers tended the light since it first went into operation. The first was William McDonald who supervised it's construction. His successor, Bennie MacIsaac, tended the light until it was automated in 1963.

East Point East Point - Prince Edward Island

The East Point lighthouse is probably P.E.I.ís most traveled light. When first constructed in 1867 it was located 1/2 mile from its present location. After a British warship ran aground in 1882 it was moved closer to the coast in 1885. Erosion along the shore forced a second relocation in 1908 to its present site. It is said that during World War II that you could hear the German U-boats recharging their batteries from the light. Over the years many pieces from the various shipwrecks have been found along the shore after a storm.

Blockhouse - Prince Edward Island Blockhouse - Prince Edward Island

The first light at Blockhouse Point, also known as Rocky Point, was established in 1849. The current lighthouse and building was built in 1876 making it the second oldest light on the island. Marking the west side of the entrance to Charlottetown harbour it is one of the island's most charming lights. Originally installed with a kerosene lamp, it was later changed to a gas lantern. In 1962 the light was automated reducing the keeper's role to one of a caretaker and groundskeeper. Stanley Taylor was the keeper from 1935 until the light was automated in 1962. His son Merrill currently leases the buildings, tends to the property and acts as guide to curious visitors in the summer.

Point Prim Point Prim - Prince Edward Island

Guarding the outer approaches to Charlottetown harbour the Point Prim light was the first round brick lighthouse in Canada. Built in 1845-47 it is Prince Edward Island's oldest operational light. At 60 ft. it is also one of the island's tallest. Except for renovations in 1884 and a veneer of shingles applied in the early 1900's the tower stands in it's original condition. Automated in 1969 the tower is open during July and August.

Point Amour Point Amour - Newfoundland

At 109 feet Point Amour is Newfoundland's tallest lighthouse. Located in Labrador it guards the western side of the Straight of Belle Isle. This light is a welcome sight to mariners as these trecherous waters can still mean disaster for a wayward ship and crew.

Lobster Cove Head Lobster Cove Head - Newfoundland

The Lobster Cove Head lighthouse is a prime example of the difficulties facing the builders along Newfoundland's rocky shoreline. With no heavy equipment to level the construction site the tower and keepers house were built on different levels to conform with the terrain. The original light was built in 1871 and was replaced with this current tower in1892. The keepers house was added in 1897. The lighthouse was automated in 1970.

Cape Spear Cape Spear - Newfoundland

Located on the most eastern point of North America the original Cape Spear lighthouse ( 1835 ) was the second of Newfoundland's lights. While the light was under construction Prince Henry of the Netherlands was on board a frigate bound for St. John's during heavy fog. In a show of gratitude he granted the keepers position to James Cantwell for safely guiding the frigate Rhine into the harbour. Seven generations have tended the light since. The current concrete tower ( depicted here ) was built in 1955 while the original light became part of a National Historic Site.

Cape Bonavista Cape Bonavista - Newfoundland

With the growth of the fishing and sealing industries in the 1800's the need for lights to mark Newfoundland's coast grew as well. In 1841 the government of Newfoundland authorized the construction of the Cape Bonavista lighthouse. The original lighthouse was designed by Trinity House of England and was put into service in September 1843. Similar to the original Cape Spear lighthouse the first catoptric ( reflecting ) light for Cape Bonavista came from the Bell Rock Lighthouse in Scotland. The weight-driven clockwork mechanism which turned the light apparatus had to be rewound every two hours. This was replaced in 1895 with a catoptric light from the Isle of May. It remains in the lantern to this day. In 1978 the Cape Bonavista Lighthouse was named a Provincial Historic Site. A modern steel tower, erected in 1966, serves as the current light at Cape Bonavista.

Ferryland Head Ferryland Head - Newfoundland

While an Act was passed in 1859 to provide form the construction of a lighthouse on or near Ferryland Head the tower was not completed and put into service until 1871. The main reason being that the road to the proposed site was not completed until 1870. The twenty-five foot concrete tower is encased in iron sheathing and sits 190 feet above the high water mark. Originally a kerosene burning lamp focused with a dioptric lens was installed. This was replaced with an electric light in 1931. Today the light is fully automated. The ìflashingî sequence of the light is 18 seconds on, 4 off, 4 on, 4 off. While an important light for navigating around the Avalon Peninsula many shipwrecks have occurred in the area through the years. Perhaps the most notable was the wreck of the ëOctaviaí in 1883. Assistant keeper Philip Keough single handedly and ìat great personal riskî rescued the entire crew of the vessel. The Royal Humane Society awarded him the silver medal for his bravery.

Race Rocks Race Rocks - British Columbia 

First lit on December 26, 1860 the Race Rocks lighthouse is one of the Imperial Lights constructed in the country at that time. Guiding mariners through the treacherous "tidal race" at the entrance to the Strait of Juan de Fuca the light has seen its share of tragedy since it was first lit. In 1892 a compressed air fog horn was installed. Ships still ran aground and sank during foggy weather. In many cases the ship's crew stating that no fog horn could be heard. In 1927 a radio beacon was installed at the site. This did a great deal to prevent further tragedies. It was not until a 1929 investigation into the "silent fog horn" that an explanation was found. The horn's location meant that the sound from it was deflected by the terrain. The horn was moved and is silent no more. The light was automated in 1997. In 1998 all of the Islands of Race Rocks was designated a Pilot Marine Protected Area.

Race Rocks Point aux Canon - Saint Pierre & Miquelon 

The lighthouse at "la Pointe aux canons", with its fixed white light, was lit for the first time on October 1,1862 to show the way into the harbour of Saint-Pierre. This replaced the beacon which was installed in 1819. It was built by the detachment of military fusiliers, under the command of Mr le Comte de la RonciËre, who came to assist the colony in 1861.

Bell Rock Bell Rock - Scotland

If not for John Smeaton pioneering building techniques, Bell Rock Lighthouse may not have been built for a long time to come. Finished in 1811 Bell Rock is located 12 miles off the coast of Scotland. The sandstone rocks are submerged in 16 feet of water at high tide. Since it's lighting the Bell Rock Lighthouse and those like it have made the offshore waters of our coasts a safer place to be.

West Quoddy West Quoddy - Maine

Built on the most eastern part of the U.S. mainland the West Quoddy Head lighthouse warns of dangers on the western end of Passamaquoddy Bay. The first tower at this site was built in 1808. The present tower was first lit in 1858. The area merchants were greatly responsible for having the light built and for its location and height. In 1820 a bell was installed ( the first to be used as a fog signal in the U.S. ) and the keeper was paid an additional $60/yr to ring the bell in the fog. With its red and white stripes ( 8 and 7 respectively ) the West Quoddy Head light is easily identified as a daymark.

Matinicus Rock Matinicus Rock - Maine

The first lighthouse was established on Matinicus Rock in 1827. Built as a twin light station the wooden towers were 40 ft. apart with the keepers dwelling in the middle. In 1848 new granite towers were built 180 ft. apart. These were replaced with the present towers in 1857. The north light was operational until 1924 when the U.S. government decided to change all twin light stations to single lights. The third order Fresnel lens from the light is on display at the Shore Village Museum in Rockland. During a severe winter storm Abbie Burgess, the 17 year old daughter of keeper Samuel Burgess, maintained the light for 4 weeks while her father was away. During this time she had to move her mother and sisters to the north tower as the storm tossed seas covered the island and eventually destroyed the keepers dwelling. Abbie married assistant keeper Isaac Grant who in 1875 was appointed keeper of the Whitehead Light.

Portland Head Portland Head - Maine

Portland Head was probabliy the first lighthouse completed by the newly formed United States government. Construction began in 1787 while Maine was still part of Massachusetts. Materials for the tower were gathered from the fields and shores in the area because of the shortage of funds for the project. When completed to the original design specifications in 1790 it was found that an adjoining headland blocked the light and the tower had to be heightened. This delayed the lighting of the tower until January of 1791. During the Civil War the tower was raised another 8 feet to it's current height of 80 feet. Over three generations of the Strout famlily served as keepers of the light. In 1886 Joshua Strout and his son Joseph rescued all on board the bark Anna C. Maguire when it wrecked on the rocks off the lighthouse.

Scitaute Light Scituate - Massachusetts

The Scituate lighthouse was first lit in 1811. In 1860 the light was deactivated after the new Minotís light was built. Purchased by the Town of Scituate in 1916, the lighthouse was turned over to the Scituate Historical Society in 1968. In 1994 the light was relit for the first time in 134 years. Perhaps the best known story in the lightís history is the ìScituate Army of Twoî. In 1812 Abigail and Rebecca Bates, daughters of the first keeper captain Simeon Bates, noticed the approach of British troops. By playing the fife and drum they were able to fool the British into believing that the local militia was arriving. The British soon beat a hasty retreat.

Minot's Ledge Minot's Ledge - Massachusetts 

While known locally as the "I love you" light because of it's 1-4-3 flashing pattern, the history of the Minot's Ledge light is less than romantic. Part of the Quonahasssit Rocks, off the mouth of Boston Harbor, it is a legendary ships graveyard. The original lighthouse was first lit in January 1850. In April 1851 the tower and two assistant keepers were washed out to sea during a fierce storm. The current 114 ft. tower was completed in 1860. Modelled after the Eddystone lighthouse in England, the tower is considered one of the top 10 engineering feats of the U.S. Lighthouse Service. The fact that waves sometimes swept over the tower made one of the most dangerous postings a keeper could get. It was said that the spirits of the two keepers who lost their lives have haunted the tower from the time it went into service in 1860. Automated in 1947 the second-order Fresnel lens is on display at Government Island in Cohasset.

Minot's Ledge New London Ledge - Connecticut

Sitting on a 200 foot long shoal the New London Ledge Light sits stately off by itself near the entrance to New London Harbor. First lit in 1909 it was one of the last lighthouses built in New England. The distinctive design was chosen so that it would fit in with the homes along the nearby coastline. Built to direct vessels around the dangerous shoals in the area it was originally called the Southwest Ledge Light. This was changed to avoid confusion with another lighthouse in New Haven. The lighthouse is reputedly haunted by a ghost named ìErnieî. He has been given credit for setting boats adrift, swabbing decks and turning the fog horn on and off. In 1987 it was the last lighthouse in Long Island Sound to be automated.

Boston Boston Light

North America's first lighthouse was lit on September 14, 1716 in Boston Harbor on Little Brewster Island. All vessels, except coasters, moving in or out of Boston were charged a tonnage tax for maintaining the light. In 1774 the British took over the island. Before the British left in March 1776 they blew up the lighthouse. In 1783 the Massachusetts Legislature had a new lighthouse built on the site of the old. It was 75 feet high and still stands today. The new Federal Government was ceded the Boston Light on June 10, 1790. In 1856 the height of the tower was raised to 98 feet. The area around Little Brewster Island has been the site of many shipwrecks and heroic actions by the lighthouse keepers. Keeper Jennings received a letter of commendation for actions he, his assistants and two naval reservists took in February 1918 to rescue 24 sailors from a doomed ship.

Point Judith Point Judith - Rhode Island

Marking the confluence of Narragansett Bay and Block Island Sound the Point Judith Lighthouse warns of another "Graveyard of the Atlantic". The first light on the point was lit in 1810. This lighthouse was subsequently destroyed during a hurricane in 1815. In 1816 a new tower was constructed. This was replaced with the present granite tower in 1856. The brown over white color of the tower makes it a more effective daymark. The area continues to be a busy sea lane. In 1907 more than 22,600 vessels passed the light. While the light has helped to reduce shipwrecks in the area many ships have still been lost since the light became operational. The Point Judith lighthouse was automated in 1954.

Block Island Block Island - Rhode Island

Known to locals as "Old Granitesides" the Block Island North Light was the fourth attempt to establish a lighthouse on the island. Sandy Point, a sandbar that runs north from the island for several miles claimed 59 different vessels between 1819 and 1838. The first beacon was two lights on opposite ends of the same building and was built in the 1820's. Within a decade this building fell to erosion and was replaced by a similar structure farther inland in 1837. Sailors found this confusing when they were within 3 miles of the light so a third, single tower was built in 1857. This tower also fell victim to erosion and was replaced with the current lighthouse in 1867. Original called the Sandy Point Lighthouse, it was renamed Block Island North light when the Southeast Light was built on the island in 1875.

Race Rock N.Y. Race Rock - New York

Built on sandstone rocks it was a great achievement in 1871. While the rock was known locally as a killer only one life has been lost there since it was constructed. It was that of its keeper who was trying to get to work during a storm.

Execution Rocks Execution Rocks - New York

The name for the Execution Rocks lighthouse is derived from a grim past. During New York's early colonial period public executions were the order of the day. The administrators of the day were often embarrassed by the rebellious comments made by the condemned before they were executed. To reduce the effects these comments would have on the populace a pit was dug into the rock reef off New Rochelle. On execution day the condemned were rowed out to the reef at low tide and chained in the pit. Bodies were only removed when space had to be provided for the newly condemned. It is said that the ghosts of the condemned exacted their revenge when a group of British soldiers pursuing George Washington floundered off Execution Rocks and were drowned. Since the light first appeared in 1867 no keeper has been forced to tend the light for a specified length of time least he feel "chained" to Execution Rocks.

Cape Hatteras Cape Hatteras

Protecting ships from the dangerous Diamond Shoals, Cape Hatteras is probably America's most recognizable lighthouse. The first tower, built by Henry Dearborn, was 95 feet and lit in 1803. The height was increased to 150 feet in 1853. By 1862 this tower was found to be beyond repair and a new tower was erected by Dexter Stetson between 1868 - 70. In 1873 the tower was first painted in its distinctive spiral-band pattern which makes it an effective daymark. Coastal erosion is the light's biggest problem over the years. When the first tower was built 1,500 feet separated it from the coast. In the 1930's this had shrunk to 300 feet. The light was put out of service until the 1950's when the erosion had abated. The problem did not go away however, and the light now has been relocated further inland and continues to warn mariners of the dangerous shoals.

Scenic Luminaries Seasonal Luminaries Luminaries Home
Visit the Web Store